This past Saturday I shot in an IDPA in Spartanburg. I am classified as a Marksman, which is the lowest class there is except for novice. I usually finish near the bottom of my class because I am slow. I cannot seem to force myself to shoot faster.
I don't know if it is because I spent all those years as a police officer either being taught or teaching others that there is a lawyer attached to every bullet out of your weapon, or I an just getting old and slow. I do know that my friend George keeps telling me I can move faster because the targets aren't going to shoot back at me. He usually says that after I have been really slow doing a building search scenerio. I know that I treat them as the real thing and search and use cover and "slice the pie" like I taught all those years at DKPD.
Here are some short videos of my friends Mack, George and myself on one of the stages. This was a really simple stage so I did well. It is 15 shots on three targets. Because I was shooting a 1911 I had to reload twice. The first part was shooting two rounds on each of three targets, then a manatory reload, then two more on the three targets, then come back with a head shot on each target. I will never be competitive. I don't have the inclination to do all the practice required, nor do I want to develop the bad habits that this type of competition brings to the real world. However, I really do enjoy the matches and it really is a decent way to your skill level from completely deteriorating. I keep telling my friends that I am just there to keep in practice in case I need to repel boarders.
No comments:
Post a Comment